Thursday, November 29, 2007

IM in the Library

Technology in the Public Libraries has gotten out of hand. Librarians are scrambling to keep up with the latest; trying to be "with it" to somehow keep the younger generation interested and connected to the Library. I don't think being able to IM the Library will convert a young person into a reader.

Here's an idea. Why not give up. Have instead Technology Centers with nothing but the latest in innovations. And keep the Libraries just that; good old fashioned Libraries; a place to commune with books. There are perhaps enough people left who would appreciate it to keep Libraries around for some time, and relieve the library staff that don't feel the need or desire to jump on the technology bandwagon . The ones who are gung ho can work at the Technology Centers.

2 comments:

Diane Wetterlin said...

I hope you haven't stopped - I was looking forward to more opinions on the various things we're learning about.

Lady Black, the Raven said...

I don't think that Librarians, or library workers, in the most part, are scrambling to "with it" but instead are somewhat being forced. And I do agree with you, definitely IMing the library will not convert a young person. It just enforces the idea that everything can be found on the internet.

I like your idea, but, more so I think the Virtual Library should become its own branch. With its own staff, not just one person in charge of it.

Please post more, I agree with much of what you are saying.